Stop Your Bladder Leaks with Dr. ShelIa Whiteman
Leaking a little when you cough or laugh and getting up multiple times a night to go to the bathroom isn’t just about getting older and it’s not about your fibromyalgia!
In this episode, Tami interviews Dr. Shelia Whiteman, author of To Pee or Not To Pee?, on the causes of bladder leakage, a common cause of prolapse, and what healthy bladder habits should look like. In addition, Tami shares her personal experience of working with Dr. Whiteman on her own challenges.
- It is not normal to have bladder leakage as you age.
- If you have to go to the bathroom several times during a few hours, that is not normal.
- Having fibromyalgia does not mean that everything that is bothering you is because fibromyalgia.
- If you have a strong pelvic floor, that helps in supporting all your organs.
- Many women trying to do Kegels are not doing them correctly.
- Many bladder issues are easily fixable.
About Dr. Shelia Whiteman
Dr. Shelia Whiteman enables women to stop worrying about bladder leaks. She is the best-selling author of To Pee or Not To Pee? The Guide to Reducing and Eliminating Urinary Incontinence and is a pelvic health physical therapist.
Dr. Whiteman received her Bachelor of Science from Ithaca College, a Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Boston University, and is a licensed Physical Therapist in the state of Maryland.
As an advocate for health and wellbeing, Dr. Whiteman has led many presentations, fitness programs, and volunteer activities in her community. In her leisure time, she can be found teaching cycling and pilates classes.
See Links & Resources below for links to download Dr. Whiteman’s books for free, or schedule a complimentary consultation.
Links & Resources
Note: This episode’s show notes contain affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, we will likely receive a small commission. Read about what we do and don’t promote here.
- Get free copies of Tami’s books here
- Pain Warriors documentary on Amazon (Affiliate link)
- To Pee or Not To Pee?: The Guide For Reducing and Eliminating Urinary Incontinence by Dr. Shelia Whiteman (FREE download)
- To Pee or Not To Pee?: The Guide For Reducing and Eliminating Urinary Incontinence by Dr. Shelia Whiteman on Amazon (Affiliate link)
- Schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Whiteman
- Episode 28, Exercise in a Fibromyalgia Body with Megan Densmore
I recently found your podcast and have been listening to it every morning, catching up on the old episodes.
Having hit rock bottom in the Summer of 2017 after my second pregnancy, I would have loved to have a resource like this (but my husband did buy me Dr. Lipton’s book which was super helpful to get me started on my healing journey!). Keep it up!!
I have gotten [my fibromyalgia] mostly under control (and even stopped my last prescription medication!) but do have to stick to quite a tight routine to stay feeling well. So I do look forward to learning more and more and hopefully becoming a bit more flexible in my lifestyle. Thanks for all you do!
~ Mary, Ontario, Canada